Eat Happy!

Eat Happy!


**The information provided in this BLOG is in no way intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness. This information should never replace the advice of a doctor. Please use this information as you see fit. This information will pertain differently to each child, each adult, and each family.**

**Resources are listed to support information associated with this BLOG. These resources support copyrights and are permissible. Information presented outside of this BLOG needs to incorporate resource sites to maintain legal status.**

**This BLOG and its information may be shared at no request; photographs will need permission from the blogger.**

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The BUG!!

As we made our way home from CHOP on Thursday, we exhaled a big sigh after a weekend hospital admission for bleeding, a trip to the ENT, and a CHOP visit all in a week’s time.  Ian had no doctors appointments scheduled for a whole week.  Well, I guess he got bored...
I don’t know where, when, or who it came from, and I don’t care... but this stomach virus that decided we needed something else on our plate can go back where it came from!!  Friday morning, Ian had some retching, which I found odd.  It seemed to subside and I thought nothing of it.  I had noticed a small glitch in his medicine schedule and thought that must have been the reason he responded that way.
As the morning went on, Ian started having some seriously frequent poopy diapers.  By noontime, I had changed at least 6 of them and he had 3-4 more retching episodes.  At this point, I was puzzled.  I was under the impression that barium caused constipation, not diarrhea.  We had given him a OTC laxative Thursday to help him pass the barium.  (I by no means wanted to go through the impaction issue we had with november upper GI series!)  Naturally, I attributed the diarrhea to the laxative.
As the day went on, I learned that may father-in-law had a stomach virus.  As he was keeping us company at the ENT on Wednesday, my mind immediately shifted.... we have, the BUG!
Since Ian has the fundo, he does not vomit, he retches, and occasionally spits-up.  The retching and the diarrhea were his way of telling us he had the stomach virus my father-in-law had.  While he was violently throwing up, Ian was heaving instead.  We kept a close watch on him and as the night time fell, he had soiled at least 24 diapers.
Overnight, we started noticing an increase, and a decrease in peeing... Ian hadn’t peed in almost 12 hours.  Now, I was really concerned.  A phone call to the pediatrician indicated that we should travel to the ER in the morning he doesn’t pee by morning.
Saturday morning came, and so did my turn for the stomach bug!  Ian was continuing to have diarrhea and no peeing, and I was now violently throwing up in my own pitiful pile of solitude in my bathroom.  Tom was forced to take Ian to the ER alone.  He was feeling fine and Ian was not making any progress.  So off they went...
My mother had come to visit Friday night and Saturday.  Tom and I had plans to drive around and look at homes on Saturday.  Well, the BUG had other plans!  Now, as Tom was taking Ian to the ER, my mother was helping take care of me.  I had a bad feeling about this!
Ian was given IV hydration at the ER.  His blood sugar was 39 and his bicarbonate was very low.  The bicarbonate is the hydration level viewed in the blood.  He was given glucose sugars and fluids to hydrate him and stabilize his blood sugars.  The Pedialyte we had be supplementing his meals with at home was not enough.  Around 4pm, Ian was discharged and Tom brought him home.
No less than an hour after they arrived home, as I lay pitifully in my bed trying to sleep, Tom rushed by me, anxious for his turn to share the bug.  As I listened to him vomit violently in the bathroom, I was both thankful and extremely concerned that my mother was there.  I knew she would be next.  It seemed to have a 2 day incubation period, and lasted 24-48 hours once the vomiting set in.
While Tom and I took turns in the bathroom, my mother played with Ian.  While having nausea and diarrhea, he seemed to be in much better spirits than we were.  AS the evening came, my mother was able to get Ian to bed.  She was now staying the night, which she had not planned.  Tom and I were unable to care for Ian and we needed her help.
Throughout the night, I seemed to be on the mend.  By Sunday morning, I was feeling ambulatory and moderately close to alive again!  Tom continued to lay on the bed like a slug and moved only to visit the bathroom.  My mother was still doing well and Ian was still having diarrhea!  Come mid-morning, my mother headed home and Tom and I were joined by my father-in-law, now feeling better, for help.
Oh, and did I forget to mention that Sunday we were scheduled to have an Open-House to sell our home!  It was scheduled from 1-4 and we were determined to pull it off.  As my father-in-law played with Ian, and Tom continued his slug-like behavior, I readied the house.  After getting everything put back together and Lysol-ing every single nook and cranny of the home, we packed to leave for the afternoon.  Tom crawled into the car with a pillow and a bucket and we left.
The afternoon consisted of traveling around while Ian and Tom slept in the car.  My father-in-law and I walked around in the fresh air and did some shopping.  Later in the afternoon, we even took Ian to the play area at the mall.  As the Open-House drew to an end, we headed back home.  Tom hadn’t vomited all day and I thought things were looking up...
Ian’s diarrhea was not stopping, and I noticed again, that he had not peed.  I called his pediatrician, again.  She advised us to return to the ER.  This time, it would be me taking him, as Tom was almost done perfecting his slug behavior.  My father-in-law traveled with as Ian received another IV for hydration and sugars.  This time, his sugar was 54... low, but better than 39!  He once again showed low bicarbonate and was dehydrated.
At this point, the doctors wondered what he had and decided to admit him.  We quickly discovered that we were back on the floor from September when the surgery was done.  We were with our old friends again.  The doctors, nurses, child life specialists, and staff all began saying hello to us in the hallways!  Ian settled in for the night and slept well.  He continued some diarrhea, and a few cultures were taken for testing.
The 2 suspected culprits were Rotavirus and Clostridium difficile (C diff).  Rotavirus, of course, is a virus... but C diff is a bacterial induced diarrhea.  Since Ian had recently been on the Omnicef for chronic sinusitis, they were concerned.  As the night when on, they continued to stick Ian to test his blood sugars and gave him continuous IV fluids.  I slept the night with Ian and my father-in-law returned home.  Meanwhile, Tom has vomited again and is now living amongst the slugs!!!
As Monday morning came, I was feeling back to myself.  Tom was feeling moderately alive, and Ian seemed to be doing better.  As I made the phone calls to family to give them the updates, I learned my mother had fallen victim Sunday night and was now working on perfecting her slug-like behavior.  Monday brought good changes for Ian and we slowly began to introduce his feeding again.  The Rotavirus and C diff tests all came back negative and the final diagnosis was simply, THE BUG!
Since Ian’s GI issues are so sensitive and compromised, he was not able to “kick the bug” as the rest of us had.  His gut needed time to rest and heal before re-introducing his food.  We continued to watch Sesame and Baby Einstein in the hospital room, while Tom was finally able to venture out into the world again.  Since his car was no longer running and needed replacement (a Friday morning discovery!) he headed to the dealership for a new car, a used, very cheap, new car!
Since it seems like when it rains it pours, now seemed like a good time to do this.  I stayed with Ian in the hospital and Tom met me here later in the evening.  During Monday evening’s phone call updates, we learned that my mother-in-law and brother-in-law had joined in the fun as well.  We were dropping like flies every day-and-a-half or so and it had run through almost the entire family.
As Tuesday approached, Ian seemed to be feeling even better.  He was tolerating more feedings and wanted desperately to wander around.  The doctors decided to stop the IV fluids since he was feeding normally again.  We took Ian to the playroom and drove him around in the little buggy that he so loved playing with back in September.  We even drove by the ceiling tile that he decorated the last time we were here.  Ian’s old room is only 2 doors down from the room he has this time.
As today, Tuesday, goes on, things around continuing to look up.  We came home this evening and hoping we won’t have to be back at a hospital anytime soon.  Between the pre-visit, MRI, blood sugar testing, bleeding episode, ENT, CHOP upper GI series followup to confirm the hernia, and the BUG, Ian has been in 2 doctors offices, 4 hospitals, 2 with admissions, and had numerous tests run, along with about 2 dozen IV and needle sticks!  The kid is sooooooooooooo over this!  He cries whenever someone even walks into the room.
We are glad to get him home and enjoy some down time.... although, I thought the same thing last time, and the time before that.  We still have our fingers crossed that someone will buy our home and hoping for some good news.......... lots of good news........... soon please!!!!!!


  1. I'm completely exhausted reading this and now wondering if THE BUG can travel from blogs! :-D

    I say over and over....."Dear Lord....these people need a break!" It's been one long roller coaster ride since Ian was born and I'm hoping and praying the tables will turn soon where there will be no problems that can't be resolved at home in less than a few minutes!

    I told your mom you need a priest to come out to bless the house and everyone inside. A kick butt blessing!

    Thinking of you all always.......

  2. So far so good for me and Dad!!! I've been lysol-ing everything that will hold still (Mom-slug and cat included)!! ;-) Knock on wood we missed out on it!
    ~Amy Lou/MiMi